I am not such a fan of milk chocolate and usually reach for the darkest stuff on the shelf. The milk varieties are too sweet for me! Luckily, I set my preferences aside and tried this recipe, which has become a favorite. The milk chocolate and orange meld together into something sublime!
Super delicious and super easy to make, these bars mix together quickly. No need to pull out your mixer or cream any butter with this recipe, just stir and press the batter into the pan. In just a few minutes you can have them in the oven and have a tasty treat to look forward too!
Be sure and measure your flour carefully. I like to use a large spoon to stir the flour and spoon it lightly into the measuring cup. Too much flour means a bar that is too dense.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- The grated zest of one orange
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, broken into bits
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9 inch square baking pan and line with baking parchment, then lightly butter the paper
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda
- Stir together the butter and sugars until smooth. Stir in the egg and orange zest.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture just until combined, then stir in the chocolate.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let cool on a wire rack and cut into 16 squares.